Monday, December 29, 2008

What a year!

This year has been full of so many blessings! Kudos to Lindsey Cummins for making me realize that! We were so shocked at the blessing of another baby (little Chap). I will admit that I wasn't the happiest camper when I found out that I was pregnant. I had just been accepted into nursing school and struggled with the thought of not being able to finish the program. That pregnancy turned out to be the biggest blessing I could every imagine. God has such a wonderful master plan. After Chap was born I was FINALLY diagnosed with Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (mouthful, I know....we'll call it CIDP!) after literally years of neurological problems I finally found a doctor that could help me! I love Dr. Ruth Fredericks. She's my little angel! After this diagnoses I was told that I should never have any more children...this suddenly made me realize why God had given Chap to us when I wasn't prepared for another baby! What a relief it was to know what was causing so many problems in my body! So after spinal taps and EMG's and countless visits to the doctor we finally could move on with a plan to control my disease. After several rounds of IVIG (Intravenous immune globulin) I can do things that were out of the question before! I went from not being able to walk through walmart to doing whatever I want to do! It's truly a miracle drug (as it should be...being more expensive than chemo!) I feel better now than I have in years. The only bad part is that it is the ONLY drug that slows my disease! We are steadily praying for a new alternative...something I can do at home! Until then we will keep doing IVIG. We are trying to go longer without an infusion...we are trying every 3 months instead of every 6 weeks! Chivas is a trooper! He was been so perfect and supportive! Also, my family has been incredible! We know that it is a long road ahead (lifelong diseases can be so stubborn! haha)...that can turn at any given moment...but we are ready for whatever! Little Sam has had a wonderful year. He has really transformed into a funny little boy...SO independent and headstrong. He adores his baby brother! Chivas has had a busy year...mostly because he had to deal with my medical drama! He is so kind and sincere...he takes things so easily without getting stressed out! Chivas and I are both going back to school in 2 weeks! AHHHH! We are both really excited. I will graduate in June...thank goodness! I'm sure each year will become more and more joyous!

2 comments:

l cummins said...

What a relief to finally have an answer and a treatment plan for such an exhausting condition..so glad you are feeling well and able to enjoy those precious boys! Good luck with school (both of you)! Happy New Year...

Tara said...

Sounds like ya'll are off to a good year! I just found out that you are seeing Ruth Fredericks...I used to work for her...she really is amazing. People come from all over to see her. You couldn't be in better hands.
Your boys are getting so big. What a blessing it is to have 2! As for school...on an encouraging note...I had my best grades when Noah was in the world...something about babies makes you super organized. Glad to hear you are doing so well, Lauren!