Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Memories


Last night Sam and I were reading a bedtime story when he looked above the bed where I have antique fishing lures hung in a shadow box. He has always been interested in them and enjoys hearing the story of how we got them. So I told him (like I've done so many times before) about how his Paw Paw collected them when he was a professional fisherman. Sam LOVES to hear stories about Chivas' grandfather who passed away on Christmas of 2004. Sam (who was named after him) was so special to Mr. Reaves. He had been fighting esophageal cancer for years and we always knew that he struggled to live just to see his first great-grandsons precious face. It's impossible for me to explain how wonderful Mr. Reaves was. He was (in our eyes) a perfect Christian man. This picture was taken only a few months before he passed. So Sam and I talked about his Paw Paw and I always have to explain that he went to heaven to live with Jesus because he was really sick. Sam looked at me with his sweet little innocent eyes and said "Mommy we need a bigger ladder so we can go see Paw Paw". I simply replied with tears streaming down my face "yes we do..."
Isn't is precious to hear the thoughts from the mind of a child??? Christmas is really hard for us and Chivas' family...especially his Mother, Kathy. We hope that everyone takes Christmas as an opportunity to spend time with the people you love.

1 comment:

Shane, Natalie, Madelyn & Murphy said...

ok...you made me tear up! What a great post!!